Updating an adopted installation from 4.54

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jun 17 15:19:47 IST 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:27:47AM +0200, Glenn Steen wrote:
> That's pretty much how you upgrade the source dist too:-).
> Install the new one to its own directory in /opt, use
> upgrade_MailScanner_conf on the old file, copy over any modified
> ruleset files... stop MS, relink to the new install, star
> MailScanner... Did I miss anything? Don't think so:-)

You missed that I don't know it as well as you do.  :-)

> Install the new one to its own directory in /opt

Check.  (well, actually, I'm putting it in /appl/ms4.69.3; FHS be
damned.  :-)

> use upgrade_MailScanner_conf on the old file

"On the old install"?  It sounds like you mean "run the upgrade script
supplied with the new install against the old one".  Do you?

> copy over any modified ruleset files...

from the old install to the new one...?

> stop MS, relink to the new install, start MailScanner...

This part I *think* I get, but I'm not 100% certain how the Sendmail
8.13 -> MailScanner link works.  Is it in fact enough if I make sure
that /opt/MailScanner points to the new install's home directory once
I'm done?  Is the only interface through the filesystem?

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)