Problem while updating perl

Dave Jones davejones70 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 13:55:10 IST 2008

>> >Dave,
>> >
>> >It didn't work on my RHEL 5.2 server:
>> >[root at smtps ~]# rpm -Uvh --force
>>
>/var/cache/yum/rhel-i386-server-5/packages/perl-5.8.8-10.el5_2.3.i386.rpm
>> >/etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts: Multiple same
>> >specifications for /usr/local/lost\+found/.*.
>> >/etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts: Multiple same
>> >specifications for /usr/local/\.journal.
>> >/etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts: Multiple same
>> >specifications for /usr/local/lost\+found.
>> >Preparing...                ###########################################
>> >[100%]
>>   >1:perl                   ###########################################
>> >[100%]
>> >[root at smtps ~]# MailScanner --lint
>> >

>> >**** ERROR: You must upgrade your perl IO module to at least
>> >**** ERROR: version 1.2301 or MailScanner will not work!
>> >
>> >I am now reinstalling the following MS' RPMs: perl-IO perl-File-Temp
>> >perl-Math-BigInt perl-Math-BigRat perl-bignum
>> >
>> >Denis
>>
>> Sounds like you might have SELinux active.  Run "getenforce" and if it
>> is "Enforcing" then run "setenforce 0" to make it "Permissive".  Then
>> run your command again.
>>
>> If permissive mode allows the package install command to work with
>> --force, then disable SELinux or try your hand at updating the SELinux
>> policy that is preventing it from installing.  RHEL 5 is supposed to
>> be much easier to customize SELinux policies but I haven't played with
>> it yet.  I still just disable it during the install and go...
>>
>> --
>> Dave Jones
>
>Dave,
>
>It is disabled on all my servers (I just checked and getenforce returns
>Disabled)...  I see the "selinux" messages all the time whenever I
>install or upgrade an RPM... to the point where I don't even pay any
>attention to them...  could have been the reason I had problem, though!
>
>Denis
Now that I see your repo is "rhel-i386-server-5" then there could be a few
other things it could be.  What repos do you have installed and active?  If
you have RPMforge installed (which every CentOS box should have), it may
overlap some packages with with the RHEL repo.  We install RPMforge on our
RHEL boxes but keep it disabled (/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo).  Then we
only enable it for specific packages from the command line with the
"--enable-repo=rpmforge" option.

On a RHEL server like yours, the perl packages should come from the RHEL
repo to keep everything clean.  Is it possible that perl was updated or
installed from another source?  You might try removing and reinstalling perl
after making sure that the only active repo is "rhel-i386-server-5."
--
Dave Jones