Spamassassin is slow - any tips or good commercial alternative?

Charlie mi6 at orcon.net.nz
Fri Jun 13 02:44:45 IST 2008

Hi,
I run an email server (Exim) which uses Mailscanner in combination with
ClamAV and SpamAssassin. The server scans about 15,000 emails per day.
SpamAssassin currently seems to take 5-10 seconds to scan even the smallest
email, which is unacceptable for us.

I was wondering if anyone had either any tips on reducing the amount of time
taken to scan an email for spam using SpamAssassin to 'well under one
second', or if anyone can recommend a good, not too expensive, commercial
alternative to SpamAssassin.

Thank you!
Charlie