Warning: latest RH perl update breaks MailScanner

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Thu Jun 12 12:13:00 IST 2008

Richard Lynch wrote:

> Just a quick warning to everyone.  A Redhat update for perl was
> released yesterday.  Once applied a restart of MailScanner fails with...
>
> Starting MailScanner...
>
> **** ERROR: You must upgrade your perl IO module to at least
> **** ERROR: version 1.2301 or MailScanner will not work!
>
> Failed.
>

> The new perl rpm for RHEL4 is perl-5.8.5-36.el4_6.3.  For RHEL3 it's
> perl-5.8.0-98.EL3.  I don't know about the other releases.  The fix
> for us was to re-install MailScanner (i.e. ./install.sh fast).
>
> Richard Lynch
> WVNET

You can probably just re-install the perl io rpm back to a working
version, or do it through the CPAN command line interface rather than
jumping through the whole install again..

P.

dangerous content by the Inexcom system Scanner,
and is believed to be clean.
Advanced heuristic mail scanning server [-].
http://www.inexcom.co.uk