Newbie mail scanner user needs some insight in where to locate missing attachment.

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jun 2 22:04:52 IST 2008

Rd03 wrote:
> I have inherited a mail scanner server running on BSD.  I am not to
> familiar with this application and its inner workings.  We recently
> received a message (first week of May), and it had a MS Word
> attachment that was stripped, and quarantined.  I was asked today to
> locate the file, and copy out of the quarantine folder and deliver it
> to the intended recipient.
>
> I did a "find" for the file and a "grep" neither returned any results.
>
> I would like to read the log files associated with this application in
> hopes to determine what happened to the attachment.
Logging is done via the standard syslog mechanism. Consult your
/etc/syslog.conf to see where mail logs are going, they should be in
there. If there are any entries for the local* categories in
syslog.conf, it's possible they are being logged to there.

The main directory to find on your BSD box will be called "MailScanner"
and it contains, among other things, the master config file
"MailScanner.conf". That's the chief file you are looking for. That's
where you will find everything defined such as the location of the
Quarantine and so on. Once you have found MailScanner.conf, things
should become a lot clearer.

> Could you please guide me in the location of either where the log
> files for the application would be (not in /var/log), or a
> configuration file that may indicate where the logs directory/files
> are kept.
>
> I am guessing there aren't any logs being generated for this application.
There are logs, they are usually sent to the same location as the mail logs.

I hope that's enough to get you started.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM