OT: TLD domain changes

Scott B. Anderson sbanderson at impromed.com
Thu Jul 31 14:40:48 IST 2008

I can't block any email based solely upon its source TLD, even if it is China and I have no Chinese clients because some users may receive legit email from business contacts there, and this goes for a lot of countries, so I think MTA based domain filtering is out of the question.  I've had a list in SA to limit the damage this causes but I was wondering about the infinite TLD change coming in a year or so and how to handle it.  Do I get a list of the current ones and block everything from the new ones?  I'm sure this won't work in the long run, but listing all the bad guys is impossible as well, so I'm thinking about doing something like adding (Spam Score - .5) to all emails from the new TLDs.  Would this be easiest for MailScanner, SA, the MTA or some other software (like a milter) to accomplish?

Scott Anderson
sbanderson at impromed.com
IT Administrator
ImproMed, Inc.