MailScanner processes hangs with no reason (to me)

Robert Joosten robert at ml.erje.net
Wed Jul 30 08:30:34 IST 2008

Hi,

> The MailScanner rules directory is a NFS mounted share (to share rules
> among several different installations)
> With apparent no reason "sometimes" at random period MS just hangs
> _llseek(4, 51712, [51712], SEEK_SET)    = 0
> _llseek(4, 0, [51712], SEEK_CUR)        = 0
> pipe([5, 6])                            = 0
> clone(child_stack=0, flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGCHLD,
> child_tidptr=0xb80a4b38) = 25538
> close(6)                                = 0
> rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {SIG_IGN}, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0
> rt_sigaction(SIGQUIT, {SIG_IGN}, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0
> waitpid(25538,

Well, try to find out what is process 25538 all about.

And second: just to be sure it's not a nfs problem (maybe it's locking
some file and/or rpc.lockd isn't running or doing it's job properly (has
it ever been ?), please do make those rules files available on it's local
disc. If it points out to be this silly NFS solution, consider rsync
though.

Hth.

Robert