Cannot match against destination IP address when resolving configuration option "virusscan"

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 09:32:29 IST 2008

Tony Enderby wrote:
> Hi All, have just started to see this in the logs with the latest Beta
> after tailing the logs.
You would have got the same error with version 4.00.1.

> Could anyone shed some light on what may be causing it?
Due to the way mail delivery works, you don't know the destination IP
until you have actually already started to deliver the message to it.
And that is way too late to change the message. So it simply cannot be
done, not by MailScanner nor anyone else, unless they did the SMTP for
you to the target server. MailScanner doesn't do SMTP service at all,
there are already some very good programs out there for doing that (your
MTA), and I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel :-)

So sorry, but there is simply no way this can be done.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Need help customising MailScanner?