OT-Related to the DNS stuff

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Mon Jul 14 16:31:40 IST 2008

Peter Farrow wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> I don't know the circumstances of how its come about that you are
> still on RH7.3 after all these years, but the best thing to do would
> be to grab some source and compile it up.
>
> However, you may run into all kinds of problems compiling on such an
> old OS.   Surely it would be easier to simply jump to Centos 5 now
> than struggle with this.  You say its scheduled for retirement in
> September, but for my part RH7.3 is so old I can't even remember the
> last time I used or installed it.
>
> Given the revision frequency of Linux and how fast it moves compared
> to other OS's this is a bit like asking for a patch for Windows 3.11.
>
> If you want help or advice on moving over to Centos 5 there is plenty
> here will to help you out,  but you should note that Centos 5 does
> have a bug in the installer which omits all the bind config and
> default zone files which stops you running named straight out of the box.
>
> Regards
>

> Pete
>

> Steve Campbell wrote:
>> I'm running an old RH 7.3 server for Bind. It's scheduled to be taken
>> out of commission at the beginning of September. Can anyone provide a
>> link to rpms for Bind, Bind-utils, and Bind-devel?
>>
>> I've searched the normal places and didn't see them - I'll re-search
>> but if anyone can help, I'd appreciated it.
>>
>> Steve Campbell

Pete,

Thanks to you also.

I'm actually on a Bind 9+ version. The RH release has not needed fixing,
so it's stayed at 7.3. The new ones are Centos 5, and they've already
been updated.

Are you really suggesting I upgrade my Windows 3.11 machines also?  :-)

So far, I have found anything I can use for Bind-9.3.4. I'm guessing
this is the fixed version.

Thanks for the time and effort.

Steve