filename checks = wrong filename report

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Wed Jul 9 23:19:56 IST 2008

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 7-9-2008 2:43 AM Sylvain Phaneuf spake the following:
>>> The filename in the report is the sanitized version. I've had the same
>>> problem explaining to users that the original filename was longer than
>>> 150 characters when the reported one is clearly shorter. I just added
>>> a few explaining words to the reports to solve the problem.
>>
>> I would rather have a report that is not using a "sanitized version"
>> if it were possible.
>> I would prefer not saying to the user: trust us, we know this
>> attachment is not good for you, even if the filename appears OK.
>> And in the case I am reporting, the filename is less than 150
>> characters long anyway...
>>
>> Sylvain
>>
> But if the un-sanitized name has some buffer overflow or other attack in
> it, you have a possible problem for the user. That is one reason why
> filenames are sanitized.

And this would be feasible in the body text of a text/plain message section?
(which is ultimately what the report is)

At that point they could just send the exploit in a message body and not bother
with a file in the first place.

ooohoheresmyreallyscarrrylongfilenamethatcouldbufferoverflowyourpcandletmerunwhateverIwantonit.exe

See, nothing happened, did it? Even if it was thousands of characters long, it
would be no different, because it's in the body text.