OT: Run MScanner in a virtualized environment.

Bob Wickline wick at bobwickline.com
Fri Jul 4 14:53:03 IST 2008

I have a dozen Solaris zones running MailScanner on a single server and
it seems to be doing fine.  Key is to have LOTS of memory.  The memory
signature of MailScanner is fairly large (50MB).  Because of that I have
cut the max children down to 2 on all of my zones but they are pretty
light mail traffic.  I haven´t done the rapid-deployment thing since my
environment is very static.  There´s plenty of documentation on how to
deploy zones out there.

Eduardo Casarero wrote:
> Hi guys, i know that it's not recomendable to run MS on virtualized HW
> because of it's high cpu/io load. However, i'm doing some research
> because my boss required it.
>
> What products do you think that will work best? VMware? Xen? The
> objective is that it has to be simple and quick to deploy. Also will
> be useful in case the HW dies, so you quickly can have the emails
> flowing (may be with delay, but working), until HW gets repaired.
>
> We all know that installing MS servers takes a while, so having a
> pre-installed image will reduce times.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Everything will be appreciated.
>
> Eduardo.