New feature -- antiword support

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Thu Jul 3 15:50:21 IST 2008

Julian Field wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I felt a bit bored at home this afternoon, supposedly having a day off...
>
> So I added support for the "antiword" program.
> Basically what MailScanner can now do is find *.doc files attached to
> your email messages, convert them to plain text (with a bit of
> *highlighting* like that) and add the text as new attachments to the
> messages.
> This means that when someone mails you a simple Word doc, you don't have
> to save the attachment, possibly switch OS and computer, and crank up
> Word just to read a few lines of text.
>
> The "ChangeLog" tells you how to use it. Basically install antiword from
> http://www.winfield.demon.nl/
> (or from RPM or SRPMS at http://www.volny.cz/zellerin/rpmmenu.html)
> then set "Add Text Of Doc = yes" to your MailScanner.conf (having run
> upgrade_MailScanner_conf of course!).
>
> And you're away.
>
> Have fun,
>
> Jules

This is working here now too. Thanks... A nice feature!

It got me thinking.. (not always a good thing) When I saw this -
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Antiword = /usr/bin/antiword -f

It would be nice to have a way to associate a file extension with a
converter, so that one could say things like:
FileExt	.doc	%rules%/doc.conversion.rules

You could do things like convert all bitmaps to jpegs, convert pdfs to
text or to images. unzip and attach separately all zipped files (might
be a problem here).

A customer might like to convert all bitmaps that Aunt Mary sends to
jpegs, and resize them to 640x480, and not keep the original bitmap
attachments.. (thanks a lot Aunt Mary).

I'd like to convert all inline images in spam to 1x1 pixel gifs. :-)

Ken

--
Ken Anderson
Pacific.Net