OT: Run MScanner in a virtualized environment.

Arjan Schrijver arjan at anymore.nl
Wed Jul 2 08:31:55 IST 2008

Anthony Cartmell wrote:
>> Hi guys, i know that it's not recomendable to run MS on virtualized HW
>> because of it's high cpu/io load. However, i'm doing some research
>> because my boss required it.
>
> I have it running on a high-powered Xen VPS (with 2G RAM available and
> eight processor cores shared between the VPS instances) and it works
> fine. Only processing ~800 messages per day so probably not a very
> useful test though. I'll be moving more mail through it soon, so might
> get to see how well it works then. My other server, non VPS but with
> the same memory but only twin processors, manages 10,000 messages per
> day without much problem.

Running OpenVZ here (no performance impact), on 4 virtual MailScanner
servers. They each process about 40.000 messages a day, through both
SpamAssassin and ClamAV. The hardware consists of four servers with
4x2GHz cores and 2GB RAM. Each server runs one container. The
performance is exactly the same as when the same servers were running
MailScanner natively (not virtualized).
But this is of course only possible with OpenVZ or Virtuozzo, because it
doesn't virtualize the complete hardware but only the kernel.

Kind regards,
Arjan