Corporate antivirus

Duncan, Brian M. brian.duncan at kattenlaw.com
Wed Jan 23 17:27:38 GMT 2008

We are in the process of switching from Symantec to Kaspersky. (All
workstations and on all Windows servers)

We looked into all the major AV offerings and Kaspersky had the smallest
footprint while being the most corporate friendly, and having tiered
support. It also was a cost savings over Symantec.

It is highly configurable and has many reporting features for staff.  It
has AV + Spyware components and other features.  They are all easy to
customize in a large Windows managed environment.

We also did our own independent testing and Kaspersky seemed to be more
aware of more PE compaction methods then most all of the other AV
scanners.

(We ran tests with all the major AV scanners with 37,00+ verified
Viruses/Trojans and around 20,000 exe's fresh from Usenet at that time)

They also liked that Kaspersky handles real-time scanning of any
workstation defined ports. (HTTP/POP/etc..)

That is not to say that there were not other AV scanners that came up
better in other single areas. (NOD 32 for instance, was blazingly fast,
just not very friendly and the interface was disliked by all test users
- Not to mention its scalability in large organizations that need
multiple update servers/ good reporting tools in a well designed
management console)

At the time we also spoke to some customer references from Kaspersky
that were on it for more then a year and they were all happy with no
outbreaks ever. We asked for 1500+ Windows seat references.

Good luck

CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: Pursuant to Regulations Governing Practice Before the Internal Revenue Service, any tax advice contained herein is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used by a taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution of this information may be subject to legal restriction or sanction.  Please notify the sender, by electronic mail or telephone, of any unintended recipients and delete the original message without making any copies.