File name/type actions?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 22 18:56:11 GMT 2008

Would you want a separate email, or a message prepended to the start of
the email containing the problem attachment? The latter, I suspect.

Unfortunately, this really isn't at all easy to do. I doubt I can do it,
but I will take a look even so.

Best regards,
Jules.

Greg Borders wrote:

> Greetings fellow MailScanners!  I've got an interesting question that
> was brought
> to my attention by a user.  They recently had a file attachment that
> triggered
> one of the file type rules. (filename.rules.conf) And it was of course
> sent to the quarantine.
>
> In general, TheCompany doesn't want to block files,
> they want a notification that it triggered a rule, and still deliver it,
> just like the system can do for spam:
>

> Use SpamAssassin = yes
> #
> # What to do with spam
> # --------------------
> #    notify                  - Send the recipients a short notification
> Spam Actions = store deliver header "X-Spam-Status: Yes"
>

> Would it be possible to emulate this same action on the other set of
> filters/checks?
> (Namely the file  name/type checks in this case.)
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the file name/type checks are
> governed by
> the dangerous content setting:
>
> #
> # Removing/Logging dangerous or potentially offensive content
> # -----------------------------------------------------------
> #
>
> # Do you want to scan the messages for potentially dangerous content?
> # Setting this to "no" will disable all the content-based checks except
> # Virus Scanning, Allow Partial Messages and Allow External Message
> Bodies.
> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
> Dangerous Content Scanning = yes
>

> It would be nice to have a simple add-on such as a new directive:
>
> Dangerous Content Actions = store notify deliver
>
> Thus emulate the same logic as the Spam Actions, but I know how Jules
> hates to add more to the conf file than necessary.
>
> Perhaps adding in a ruleset that points to a custom function is an
> option?
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice.
>
> Greg. Borders
>

> --
>
> This email message and any document accompanying it may contain
> information intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use,
> distribution, copying or disclosure by another person is strictly
> prohibited. NOTICE TO PERSONS SUBJECT TO UNITED STATES TAXATION:
> DISCLOSURE UNDER TREASURY CIRCULAR 230:
> Any tax advice included in this written or electronic communication
> was not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the
> taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding any penalties that may be
> imposed on the taxpayer by any governmental taxing authority or
> agency.  This written or electronic communication does not represent
> legal advice. Persons in need of a legal opinion should seek competent
> counsel.

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng