File name/type actions?

Greg Borders gborders at balanceconsult.com
Tue Jan 22 18:14:09 GMT 2008

Greetings fellow MailScanners!  I've got an interesting question that
was brought
to my attention by a user.  They recently had a file attachment that
triggered
one of the file type rules. (filename.rules.conf) And it was of course
sent to the quarantine.

In general, TheCompany doesn't want to block files,
they want a notification that it triggered a rule, and still deliver it,
just like the system can do for spam:

Use SpamAssassin = yes
#
# What to do with spam
# --------------------
#    notify                  - Send the recipients a short notification
Spam Actions = store deliver header "X-Spam-Status: Yes"

Would it be possible to emulate this same action on the other set of
filters/checks?
(Namely the file  name/type checks in this case.)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the file name/type checks are
governed by
the dangerous content setting:

#
# Removing/Logging dangerous or potentially offensive content
# -----------------------------------------------------------
#

# Do you want to scan the messages for potentially dangerous content?
# Setting this to "no" will disable all the content-based checks except
# Virus Scanning, Allow Partial Messages and Allow External Message Bodies.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Dangerous Content Scanning = yes

It would be nice to have a simple add-on such as a new directive:

Dangerous Content Actions = store notify deliver

Thus emulate the same logic as the Spam Actions, but I know how Jules
hates to add more to the conf file than necessary.

Perhaps adding in a ruleset that points to a custom function is an option?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Greg. Borders

--

This email message and any document accompanying it may contain information intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by another person is strictly prohibited.
NOTICE TO PERSONS SUBJECT TO UNITED STATES TAXATION: