Check SpamAssassin If On Spam List Question

Ian Lists ian-list at securitypimp.com
Thu Jan 17 14:25:51 GMT 2008

If I have the "Spam Lists To Reach High Score" set to 1, is it still necessary to set "Check SpamAssassin If On Spam List" to yes.  I am pretty sure it isn't necessary, but I'm confused about this sentence in the comment, "Setting this to "no" will reduce the load on your server, but will stop the High Scoring Spam Actions from ever happening."  I'm having an issue with SpamAssassin timeouts and have tried looking at everything else.

Thanks,

Ian

# If a message appears in at least this number of "Spam Lists" (as defined
# above), then the message will be treated as "High Scoring Spam" and so
# the "High Scoring Spam Actions" will happen. You probably want to set
# this to 2 if you are actually using this feature. 5 is high enough that
# it will never happen unless you use lots of "Spam Lists".
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Spam Lists To Reach High Score = 1

# If the message sender is on any of the Spam Lists, do you still want
# to do the SpamAssassin checks? Setting this to "no" will reduce the load
# on your server, but will stop the High Scoring Spam Actions from ever
# happening.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Check SpamAssassin If On Spam List = yes