filename rules for docx with multiple xml.rel files

Brendan Pirie bpirie at rma.edu
Tue Jan 15 17:23:27 GMT 2008

I've been getting numerous complaints about blocked Word (docx) files
lately.  The cause appears to be that the included filename rule "allow
\.xml\.rel$ - -" doesn't account for multiple xml.rel files.  e.g.:

Quarantine: /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20080111/m0C3woql005602
     Report: Attempt to hide real filename extension (document.xml1.rel)
     Report: Attempt to hide real filename extension (document.xml2.rel)

I've added a new rule:  allow	\.xml[0-9]\.rel$	-	-
to the filename.rules.conf file, but I don't know enough about the new
docx format to create a file that contains multiple xml.rel files to
test with.  Has anyone else run into this, or come up with a more
elegant solution?

Thanks,

Brendan