FW: [Mailwatch-users] file name rules help

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 17:16:49 GMT 2008

On 14/01/2008, Simon Jones <simon at saq.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
Hehe... What an amazing amount of misinformation I could give you now,
if I was a really evil bunny.... :-)
I suggest you read "man file" or "info file" or google it...:-).
Short synopsis: a "file magic number" is simply a collection of more
or less simple patterns to determine a file type. The magic is usually
rather numeric in form, but can also include strings etc. A
"magic-file" is a file containg a collection of "file magics" that the
file command uses. Since this collection is rather hefty, the command
doesn't use the human-readable text file (usually found someplace like
/usr/share/misc/magic ... check your file-commands man-page...)...
Rather it "compiles" this into a binary format (magic.mgc). This
compilation can easily be done by way of "file -C" ... So once you
know what magic gets triggered by file on the .prx file, you can edit
your copy of the magic file and "recompile" it...
Clearer?

Cheers
--
-- Glenn