People forget to install unrar

dnsadmin 1bigthink.com dnsadmin at 1bigthink.com
Mon Jan 7 16:37:58 GMT 2008

At 09:30 AM 1/6/2008, you wrote:

NOTE: Snipping throughout..

> >> This is one problem I see time and again on other people's systems, they
> >> never remember to install unrar, which means that MailScanner cannot
> >> check filenames or filetypes in RAR archives.
> >>
> >> Anyone got any good practical ideas on how I might go about solving this
> >> one?
> >>
> > FWIW, I occasionally *do* see rar files at my sight; I don't know why.
> > Mailscanner deals with them nicely.
> >
> > Jeff Earickson
> > Colby College

FYI, I deal with a lot of .rar files at home, personally. I've never
seen a *valid* .rar come over my mail server, though they are a good
archival system, so I would imagine someone will use it someday and I
would want to allow it; like a .zip file.

However, I dealt with a great deal of them on the mail server early
last year when a botnet started disbursing them with suspect code
content. MailScanner was very adept at picking this trash out and
quarantining it.

Cheers,
Glenn

believed to be clean.