Txt file considered as program?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 10:31:39 GMT 2008

On 04/01/2008, Anthony Peacock <a.peacock at chime.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Budi Febrianto wrote:
> > Ricky Boone wrote:

> <SNIP>
>
> > The attachment is text file, I can open it from mailwatch.
> > I'm not sure why MailScanner detected as program.
>
> There is a problem with some versions of the file command, where it
> detects a text file in the Russion language as a executable program.
Not only Russian.... Greek has been very frequently misdetected by
some versions of "file" as well. It is usually a question of having a
few very optimistic one-byte magics in the magic file... Sigh.

> What does the text file look like?
CC. If it is something like a COM executable, you likely suffer from a
one-byte magic problem...;).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn