How to ignore all outgoing mail in MailScanner

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Thu Jan 3 17:03:40 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 05:36:41PM +0100, Ronny T. Lampert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after endless searching with Google I did not find any solution to the
> following problem (well, I found
> http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2006-October/066594.html
> - but is this still the best way to go?)
>
> All outgoing mails (= mails received from internal, trusted servers)
> MUST NOT be scanned by MailScanner.
>
> ATM I'm using the postfix setup with header_checks enabled, but this (of
> course) causes ALL MAIL to be scanned by MailScanner.
>

> postfix has this nice "permit_mynetworks" keyword to bypass all checks
> for internal servers.
>
> 1) Is there a clean way to NOT PASS any mails from a list of relays to
> MailScanner at all (by postfix)?
>
> -OR-
>
> 2) Is there a similar keyword for Mailscanner so it ignores those mails
> completely?
>

> Has anybody a suggestion how to implement that the most clean way?
> It's not just a couple of IPs...

It sounds as though your internal network is more than minimally
complex. I'm fortunate: we have only one authorized mail emitter
internally, even if it *is* the dreaded-and-despised Lotus Domino.

Can you split your mail processing into an inbound-only server and an
outbound-only server? We did, where I work, and that took care of a
*lot* of problems -- while generating others, to be sure, but those
are easily solved. Our outbound mail load is very small, compared to
the raging torrent of mail, most of it junk, which we see inbound.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin