F-Prot use not appearing in log file

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Feb 29 22:59:04 GMT 2008

Mike - W0TMW wrote:
> Trimmed to conserve space.
>
> Julian Field wrote:
>>

>> Mike Watson wrote:

>>> gotten it running.  I have noticed something odd.

>>> an older version of MS running on another box also with clamav and
>>> f-prot.  On that older box, when an e-mail is being scanned, I see
>>> in the log that clamav and f-prot are used.  On the new box however,
>>> I only see clamav mentioned.  Both virus scanners are found when MS
>>> is started.
> snipped...
>>> error has caused many logging problems.
>>> your locally generated headers.
>>>
> Done. No change.
>> Have you checked your /etc/MailScanner.conf recently?
>> A new version of F-Prot appeared with a totally new output format.
>> There is now the "f-prot-6" scanner which you should have in your
>> "Virus Scanners" setting. It's mentioned in the comments above.
> My F-prot is version 4.6.8, engine 3.16.16.  It was downloaded from
> the F-Prot website last week.  Would this version use "f-prot" or
> "F-prot-6"? F-prot works/scans in manual mode.
When you installed it, did it require a installation key number? On the
website, when you download it, there is version 3 and version 6
available. Once you have put in your customer number, you get taken to a
page which lists the downloads and keys you can get for that number.
That tells you the version number there. I would guess you are using
version 6.

Set Virus Scanners in MailScanner.conf to include "f-prot-6" and then do
a MailScanner --lint and you'll see what it finds and whether it locates
a virus report in the F-Prot 6 output.

Note that after you unpack the F-Prot 6 (by default it appears to prefer
/opt/f-prot) there is an installation script in there. You don't want
any of the daemons or cron jobs or anything, but you will need to type
in your installation key number (very long string with dashes in it) in
order to be able to download the updates.

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM