Logwatch file being tagged as a virus file and deleted

Howard Fleming hfleming at moosebird.net
Fri Feb 29 13:49:28 GMT 2008

Hi Jules,

Julian Field wrote:
  <snip>

>> From: 127.0.0.1 no

>> From: root at messenger.mideasti.org no
> That's dangerous. All a spammer (or a virus) has to do is set the sender
> address of the message (which is completely under their control) to
> root at messenger.mideasti.org and their messages won't be virus-scanned at
> all.
>
> Not a good idea!

Correct. :o)  However, I have another process that talks to the mail system on
127.0.0.1, which is why I did not set it up on 127.0.0.1 originally, since I
want to exclude email from root only.

> Change it to this instead:
> From: root at messenger.mideasti.org and From: 127.0.0.1 no
> and that will be a whole lot safer.

Done.

> Jules

As for the MailScanner book, I do have a copy, but I think it is time for work
to buy a copy so I do not have to keep moving my personal copy back and forth
between work and home.

Thanks!
Howard