F-Prot use not appearing in log file

Mike Watson mikew at crucis.net
Fri Feb 29 01:43:53 GMT 2008

Scott Silva wrote:
| on 2-28-2008 1:35 PM Mike - W0TMW spake the following:
|> Julian Field wrote:

gotten it running.  I have noticed something odd.

older version of MS running on another box also with clamav and f-prot.
On that older box, when an e-mail is being scanned, I see in the log
that clamav and f-prot are used.  On the new box however, I only see
clamav mentioned.  Both virus scanners are found when MS is started.

|>> That shouldn't be possible.
|>> What does "MailScanner --lint" say?
|>> If you add "eicar" to Non-Forging Viruses list, then you should
receive a notification when you send a copy of Eicar through it. That
will tell you for definite which virus scanners are finding Eicar.

|>> Please let me know how you get on with this.
|>>
|>> Jules
|>>
|> Here's the dump from MailScanner --lint.
|>
|> [root at cygni ~]# MailScanner --lint
|> Trying to setlogsock(unix)
|> Checking version numbers...
|> Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.66.5) is correct.
|>
|> Your setting "Mail Header" contains illegal characters.
|> This is most likely caused by your "%org-name%" setting
|> which must not contain and "." or "_" characters as
|> these are known to cause problems with some mail systems.
|>

|> ERROR: The "envelope_sender_header" in your spam.assassin.prefs.conf
|> ERROR: is not correct, it should match X-crucis.net-MailScanner-From
|>
|> MikeW: Hmmm, I wonder if this could be the cause? Continuing...
|>
| <snip>
| Change your %org-name% to crucis_net instead of crucis.net. That error
has caused many logging problems.
| And you might as well fix the other error so spamassassin ignores your
locally generated headers.
Replaced the "." with a "_", but no change.  F-prot still not being
executed although clamav is.

mw

dangerous content by MailScanner at CYGNI, and is
believed to be clean.