F-Prot use not appearing in log file

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Feb 28 22:09:01 GMT 2008

on 2-28-2008 1:35 PM Mike - W0TMW spake the following:
> Julian Field wrote:
>>

>> Mike - W0TMW wrote:
>>> I've installed MS 4.66 on a new box and thanks to others here gotten
>>> it running.  I have noticed something odd.
>>>
>>> I have clamav and f-prot installed for virus scanning.  I have an
>>> older version of MS running on another box also with clamav and
>>> f-prot.  On that older box, when an e-mail is being scanned, I see in
>>> the log that clamav and f-prot are used.  On the new box however, I
>>> only see clamav mentioned.  Both virus scanners are found when MS is
>>> started.
>>>
>>> Is f-prot being used and just not logged?
>> That shouldn't be possible.
>> What does "MailScanner --lint" say?
>> If you add "eicar" to Non-Forging Viruses list, then you should
>> receive a notification when you send a copy of Eicar through it. That
>> will tell you for definite which virus scanners are finding Eicar.
>>
>> Please let me know how you get on with this.
>>
>> Jules
>>
> Here's the dump from MailScanner --lint.
>
> [root at cygni ~]# MailScanner --lint
> Trying to setlogsock(unix)
> Checking version numbers...
> Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.66.5) is correct.
>
> Your setting "Mail Header" contains illegal characters.
> This is most likely caused by your "%org-name%" setting
> which must not contain and "." or "_" characters as
> these are known to cause problems with some mail systems.
>

> ERROR: The "envelope_sender_header" in your spam.assassin.prefs.conf
> ERROR: is not correct, it should match X-crucis.net-MailScanner-From
>
> MikeW: Hmmm, I wonder if this could be the cause? Continuing...

<snip>
Change your %org-name% to crucis_net instead of crucis.net. That error has
caused many logging problems.
And you might as well fix the other error so spamassassin ignores your locally
generated headers.
--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and