http proxy:suggestion

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Feb 22 18:01:22 GMT 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Julian Field wrote:

> I believe SuSE use /etc/sysconfig too. I don't use a proxy at all, so
> have no easy way to test any of this. If you want to modify the scripts
> and send me the modified ones, I'll take a look at your changes certainly.

Julian: I'm happy to code it and test it and send you a patch.  But what I
need from you is guidance along the lines of:
  "MS should have a file called FILE-MS whose purpose is PURPOSE-MS and
  another file called FILE-ENV whose purpose is PURPOSE-ENV."

The purposes are probably something like:
  PURPOSE-MS:  set variables used within "MailScanner.conf"
  PURPOSE-ENV: set variables (environment) used by scripts.

And advice on file names.  "FILE-MS" is already "MailScanner"; but what
should "FILE-ENV" be called?

On the other hand we could do the dirty fudge of throwing everything into
the existing single file.  In reality for this particular issue that means
testing whether the existing "/etc/sysconfig/MailScanner" can simply take
an additional "http_proxy" specification which (a) works (b) doesn't break
anything else.

If you can advise on those items, I'll try to code it and test it.

Best wishes.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:  UNIX Team Leader                         Durham University     :
:                                           South Road            :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            Durham DH1 3LE        :