Cannot allow 'exe' files

James Gray james at gray.net.au
Fri Feb 22 04:34:56 GMT 2008

On 22/02/2008, at 3:02 PM, Charlie wrote:
> I have just reinstalled MailScanner but it is not allowing any
> executable files (e.g. com, exe) to be sent *even though* I have
> changed the relevant configuration file 'filename.rules.conf', and
> am pretty sure I have successfully restarted MailScanner.
>
> The error I receive back from the server is:
> The following e-mails were found to have: Bad Filename Detected
> (and then in the Quarantine section it says: No programs allowed)
>
> The changes I did to 'filename.rules.conf' were to comment out these
> two lines as follows:
> #deny   \.com$          Windows/DOS Executable
> #deny   \.exe$          Windows/DOS Executable
>
> I'm not sure what else to try.

Hi Charlie,

Make sure you comment out the following lines in /etc/MailScanner/
filetype.rules.conf

deny    self-extract    No self-extracting archives     No self-
extracting archives allowed
deny    executable      No executables          No programs allowed

Alternatively, you can replace them with:

allow    self-extract    -		-
allow    executable      -		-

The second option is more obvious as what you're allowing and denying,
but both are equally effective.  I wont go into the "why this is a bad
idea" .... I assume you have your reasons :)

Cheers,

James