Problem with the version 4.46.2

James Gray james at gray.net.au
Fri Feb 22 03:31:56 GMT 2008

On 22/02/2008, at 10:24 AM, Scott Silva wrote:

> on 2/21/2008 2:58 PM James Gray spake the following:

>>> Thank you :-)
>>>
>>> Would you really prefer to have to wait a year before feature
>>> requests were implemented, just to keep some "distorted" Debian
>>> admins  happy?
>> I don't have any "pure" Debian systems running but I have a number
>> of Ubuntu server installs I can play with.  Most are running Ubuntu
>> 6.06LTS (aka. "Dapper").  I'd be willing to investigate the whole
>> packaging so that it plays nice with Debian/Ubuntu's little quirks.
>> Just a few questions:
>> - Did you want to bundle SpamAssassin and ClamAV too?
>> - Do we need to use your Perl modules or can we use the
>> distribution ones?
>> - I was thinking maybe making separate packages for all of this
>> (MS, SA, Clam and Perl mods), then putting it all up in a single
>> repo - what do other people think?
>> No time frames/promises...I've got to sit down and figure out the
>> best way to achieve this without borking the base packages etc.
>> This is just something that's bugged me for ages and after reading
>> this thread, it's piqued my interest (again!).
>> Cheers,
>> James
> The repo thing has been tried for CentOS, and it borked some things.
> But then again, it depended on another "third party" repo, so it
> might work if you had everything in one repo.

The other option would be to just use a Debian package as a wrapper
for Julian's installer scripts.  However, this would make it very
difficult to return a system to a "pure" Debian/Ubuntu on removal.
Hence the reason I was thinking about putting all the Perl/SA/Clam/MS
components in separate debs.  I also wouldn't be relying on any 3rd
party repo's.  My plan was a one-stop-shop for MailScanner+SA+Clam
(and the underlying Perl modules).

Debian (and I assume Ubuntu too) have guidelines for custom packages
that use later versions of base packages (eg, the perl modules) so
that if distribution updates the package to a later version than
Julian's Clam/SA/Perl, it all still plays nice.  Plus the init scripts
and "/etc/default" are a relatively debian-specific thing too - all of
which I've done for my Ubuntu systems, but just never bothered to wrap
it up in a deb.

Most of the ground-work is there; just need to sort out the package
creation fru-fru (al-la "spec file"...although debs are different) and
versioning/tagging etc.  Then once it's all packaged I need to work
out some sort of hosting (maybe mailscanner.info...if the packages are
any good :P).

Cheers,

James