HTML/Newsletters being received as unreadable code

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 20 20:30:11 GMT 2008

Steve Freegard wrote:
> Julian Field wrote:
>
>> When you run MailScanner --lint, a polite warning is already shown,
>> which I reckon is sufficient for that case. But when you run
>> MailScanner - --debug, there was no obvious warning, so now you get
>> this printed instead, which I think is obvious enough for nearly
>> everyone (the rows of "*"s are included in the output) :
>> In MailScanner.conf, your "%org-name%" or "Mail Header" setting
>> contains spaces and/or other illegal characters.
>>
>> Including any spaces will break all your mail system.
>>
>> Otherwise, it should only contain characters from the set a-z, A-Z,
>> 0-9 and "-". While theoretically some other characters are allowed,
>> many commercial mail systems fail to handle them correctly.
>>
>> This is clearly noted in the MailScanner.conf file, immediately above
>> the %org-name% setting. Please read the documentation!
>>
>> Clear enough for you? :-)
>

> As this still requires someone to run --lint to get this warning
> (which a newbie might skip) why not just do the equivalent of:
>
> $orgname =~ s/\s+/-/g
>
> That way they can't break their mail system accidentally.
I could, but what happens if they have upgraded their way from an early
version and don't use %org-name%? It really needs doing to a whole bunch
of settings which are used as header names.

I could try to find all the header settings and automatically apply it
to all of the headers, I'll take a look at doing that.

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM