MailScanner 4.66.5 woes on Centos 5.1

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Feb 17 17:20:49 GMT 2008

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> * PGP Signed by an unverified key: 02/17/08 at 16:16:02
>
> shuttlebox wrote:
> | On Feb 17, 2008 3:33 PM, Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> |> One other possibility is to much with the installation setup of
> each of
> |> my required Perl modules, so that they are always installed in the
> |> "site" tree which should be out of the way of CPAN and RPM. Not
> sure how
> |> easy it is to do that though. Any thoughts?
> |
> | I've been dealing with this on Solaris and even though I packaged a IO
> | 1.2301 module it used the older one from within Perl itself, it only
> | searches the INC until it finds a match, it doesn't go through the
> | whole INC and uses the latest module if there are more than one match.
> | I had to use PERLLIB in a few places and didn't like it so I haven't
> | officially released a 4.66 Blastwave package. Instead I have asked the
> | maintainer of Perl to update the included IO which haven't happened
> | yet. :-(
>
> In the case of the RPM version we need to find a way to add the files
> without hitting the one from the main perl package. The rpmforge package
> does not hit a conflict on any regular files. Just on the manual pages.
>
> If these are properly markes as documentation we just might get away
> with it .... .... ..
>
> Right. First try to install it with yum. That will fail but download the
> package anyway. Then install it without the documentation:
>
> rpm -Uvh
> /var/cache/yum/rpmforge/packages/perl-IO-1.2301-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm
> --excludedocs
>
> That installs the required package with an acceptable kludge. It does
> satisfy my wish to avoid the --force option.
Slight snag. This package was put together by someone who doesn't
actually understand what they are doing. They have got round the
clashing file problems by putting it into the "vendorperl" instead of
"perl" tree. But the "perl" tree is earlier in @INC than "vendorperl".

So the nice new version you just installed isn't actually used at all.

To prove it to yourself...
Try editing the code in the file (e.g. put a syntax error in it), and
then run this command. It should fail as there is a syntax error in
IO.pm which is where the perl-IO rpm is installed.
    perl -MIO -e 'print $IO::VERSION;'
You'll find it still works perfectly, as it isn't using the version you
just installed from dag.wieers.com.

Oops.

If it was that easy, I would have done it years ago :-)

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM