It done broke. "Returned 22 with signal 0".

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 18:46:19 GMT 2008

On 12/02/2008, ravenpi at gmail.com <ravenpi at gmail.com> wrote:
> [For the record, I also set up to use the native TNEF decoder.]
>
> Thanks for the pointer; I hadn't thought to run that.  --lint initially
> showed a bunch of permissions problems (including temporary files, which was
> tantalizing), but I fixed up the permissions, and it still fails with debug,
> etc..  Here is what I now get with --lint:
>
> root at elanor:/var/lib/MailScanner# MailScanner --lint
> Read 759 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
> MailScanner setting GID to  (121)
> MailScanner setting UID to  (112)
>
> Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
>  Using SpamAssassin results cache
> Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
> SpamAssassin reported no errors.
> Using locktype = flock
> MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = auto"
> Found these virus scanners installed: clamav
>
> So, that looks pretty good to me.  Then, I tried the -V:
>
> root at elanor:/var/lib/MailScanner# MailScanner -V
> Running on
> Linux elanor.jots.org 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Tue Dec 18 05:45:12 UTC 2007
> i686 GNU/Linux
>  This is Perl version 5.008008 (5.8.8)
>
> This is MailScanner version 4.57.6
Pretty old... is this via Ubuntu -deb/apt?

(snip)

> Don't see anything particularly awry.  But thems as knows more than I might
> be able to point out something I'm overlooking.  Thanks for your
> suggestions!

I'd start by trying out a newer elease.... If all else fails, use the
source (tarball) and the debianish init.d script from the download
page.

If it still missbehaves after that... Well, we'll see then:-).
Postfix as MTA? Split maillog files? What do you have in the error file?

Cheers
--
-- Glenn