Not scanning for spam?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Feb 11 23:25:42 GMT 2008

on 2/11/2008 3:08 PM Edward Dekkers spake the following:
>> Any ideas why it would say it's starting checks then delivers it
>> unscanned?
>>
>> Theres no mention of goecities in my whitelists or anything.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ed.
>
> Sorry for replying to my own post, but this has been resolved. A few mails
> to the university of Berlin's echo server showed that mailscanner was
> completely ignoring scanning of ANY messages.
>
> This was due to me having the problem sending attachments last week, in
> which I played with a lot of rules files. One of which was
> scan.messages.rules.
>
> I had the default as no, which is what the other rules files seem to want.
> Of course, the default is supposed to be yes in this file.
>
> One follow up question (I'm using Ubuntu Gutsy server) if you don't mind.
>
> What is the correct way to re-load the MailScanner configuration?
>
> I'm using "/etc/init.d/mailscanner reload"
>
> When I sent my test message, there was no change to the result.
>
> A re-boot of the server DID load the new settings.
>
> So I must be trying to re-load the settings wrong.
>
> Could someone explain how to properly re-start MailScanner?
>
> Seems trivial, and I thought I was doing it correctly, but obviously not.
>
> Regards,
> Ed.

In an RPM based installation a reload usually does just that. Are you using an
init script provided by Julian or from someone else?
Julian has this init script for Debian based distros;
http://www.mailscanner.info/files/4/mailscanner.debian.init.d
Maybe if yours is from a packager, it is different.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and