Not scanning for spam?

Edward Dekkers edward at tdcs.com.au
Mon Feb 11 23:08:10 GMT 2008

> Any ideas why it would say it's starting checks then delivers it
> unscanned?
>
> Theres no mention of goecities in my whitelists or anything.
>
> Regards,
> Ed.

Sorry for replying to my own post, but this has been resolved. A few mails
to the university of Berlin's echo server showed that mailscanner was
completely ignoring scanning of ANY messages.

This was due to me having the problem sending attachments last week, in
which I played with a lot of rules files. One of which was
scan.messages.rules.

I had the default as no, which is what the other rules files seem to want.
Of course, the default is supposed to be yes in this file.

One follow up question (I'm using Ubuntu Gutsy server) if you don't mind.

What is the correct way to re-load the MailScanner configuration?

I'm using "/etc/init.d/mailscanner reload"

When I sent my test message, there was no change to the result.

A re-boot of the server DID load the new settings.

So I must be trying to re-load the settings wrong.

Could someone explain how to properly re-start MailScanner?

Seems trivial, and I thought I was doing it correctly, but obviously not.

Regards,
Ed.

believed to be clean.