Definite Fraud?

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Fri Feb 8 02:18:53 GMT 2008

Jay Chandler wrote:
> I'm sure this has been rehashed before, but...
>

> *MailScanner has detected definite fraud in the website at
> "tinyurl.com". Do /not/ trust this website:* http://tinyurl.com/blah
> <http://tinyurl.com/2b5l4w>
>

> Obviously it's detecting the 301 redirect, but that doesn't necessarily
> bespeak fraud.  There are a lot of non-fraudulent things that it could
> be, ranging from shock pictures to Rick Rolls to inredibly long URLs.
>
> Has anyone discussed changing the wording here?

The wording is correct.  This is the message that is displayed when a
url is found in the list /etc/MailScanner/phishing.bad.sites.conf.

These are known phishing sites.  This is different from the case where a
link target and text do not match, which is described as a "possible" fraud.

That said, it is a little strange that tinyurl.com is listed in
phishing.bad.sites.conf, but it is.

Mark