Handling mobile users

Nigel Kendrick support-lists at petdoctors.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 14:05:28 GMT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Alex Broens
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:11 AM
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: Re: Handling mobile users

On 12/11/2008 10:39 AM, Nigel Kendrick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any hints on handling mobile users where the sending domains keep hopping
on
> and off RBLs? I have asked this before but not really found a satisfactory
> solution - for example, whitelisting our domain opens up the spam
floodgate.
> The ideal situation would be to skip RBL checks on emails from
authenticated
> users, but either I am not doing it right or I am missing the trick. It
was
> suggested that whitelisting 127.0.0.1 would help but this does not seem to
> be the case. Our mobiles are on UK Vodafone but, for example, one of the
> Directors is currently roaming in Italy.
>
> I was looking at creating up a ruleset for the "Spam List = " to set it to
> "" for emails from our domain (not ideal, but better than nothing), but I
> cannot work out how to do this for selected domains.
>
> All hints and pointers appreciated.

>>imo, all mobile workers, even a director should VPN to your network and
smtp-auth from there.

>>Even if VPN ports are blocked @hotels, etc, its trivial to setup a VPN
channel which listens on TCP 443 which is always open.

>>or...
>>lets assume you're not VPN yet doing RBL lookups @MTA level, smtp-auth'd
users should be exempt from rbl lookups in the first place.

>>There's hardly need to tweak MailScanner or SA if stuff is coming off your
trusted network.

>>or am I missing something?
>>
>>Ale

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the comments - I presume that the problem is because when the
users send mail from their phones, their client is seen as something like
1234abcd at uk.access.vodafone.net and 'vodafone.net' has made it onto a
blacklist?

Nigel