Mailscanner, CentOS 5, and updating perl.

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Dec 10 23:31:28 GMT 2008

Henry Kwan wrote on Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:42:33 +0000 (UTC):

> Not sure.  I'm guessing it's because I installed perl-Compress-Zlib-1.41-1
> from Julian's tarball.

Oh, yeah, of course, I didn't know the version number.

> > > If I go ahead and install it, the same error as above always pops up when
> > > I go to start Mailscanner.
> >
> > Not here, with 1.42-1.fc6 on the system. However, my latest MS version
> > currently is 4.71.10. So, there may be something offending with a later
> > version.
>
> I was running 4.71.10-1 with 1.42-1.fc6 fine but when I tried upgrading to
> 4.73.4-2, that's when the error popped up.  So I removed 1.42-1.fc6 and
> downgrade to 1.41-1.

It popped up because you were installing 1.41 from Jules over 1.42 from CentOS
base. Again. (It was already part of MS 4.71). Not because 1.42 was on the
system. So, depending on your update cycle you were updating, overwriting,
updating, overwriting that and maybe other packages ...

Just installed latest MS with no problems at all. I checked and it's really only
the mailscanner*.rpm and the tnef*.rpm (if it is a new one) that I install. I
don't install *any* of the perl modules or the ExtUtils-MakeMaker.tar.gz from
that tarball. I took the opportunity to get a list of the files and rpm -q
these, so I get a list of installed versions and not installed packages. Not
installed packages are already part of Perl.

Here's the quick output, hope this helps.

rpm -q mailscanner
mailscanner-4.73.4-2
rpm -q perl-Archive-Zip
perl-Archive-Zip-1.16-1.2.1
rpm -q perl-bignum
package perl-bignum is not installed
rpm -q perl-Compress-Zlib
perl-Compress-Zlib-1.42-1.fc6
rpm -q perl-Convert-BinHex
perl-Convert-BinHex-1.119-2.2.el5.rf
rpm -q perl-Convert-TNEF
perl-Convert-TNEF-0.17-3.2.el5.rf
rpm -q perl-DBD-SQLite
perl-DBD-SQLite-1.14-1.el5.rf
rpm -q perl-DBI
perl-DBI-1.52-1.fc6
rpm -q perl-Digest-MD5
package perl-Digest-MD5 is not installed
rpm -q perl-Digest-SHA1
perl-Digest-SHA1-2.11-1.2.1
rpm -q perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker
package perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker is not installed
rpm -q perl-File-Spec
package perl-File-Spec is not installed
rpm -q perl-Filesys-Df
perl-Filesys-Df-0.92-1.el5.rf
rpm -q perl-File-Temp
perl-File-Temp is not installed
rpm -q perl-Getopt-Long
package perl-Getopt-Long is not installed
rpm -q perl-HTML-Parser
perl-HTML-Parser-3.55-1.fc6
rpm -q perl-HTML-Tagset
perl-HTML-Tagset-3.10-2.1.1
rpm -q perl-IO
package perl-IO is not installed
rpm -q perl-IO-stringy
perl-IO-stringy-2.110-1.2.el5.rf
rpm -q perl-MailTools
perl-MailTools-1.77-1.el5.centos
rpm -q perl-Math-BigInt
package perl-Math-BigInt is not installed
rpm -q perl-Math-BigRat
package perl-Math-BigRat is not installed
rpm -q perl-MIME-Base64
package perl-MIME-Base64 is not installed
rpm -q perl-MIME-tools
perl-MIME-tools-5.420-2.el5.rf
rpm -q perl-Net-CIDR
perl-Net-CIDR-0.11-1.2.el5.rf
rpm -q perl-Net-DNS
perl-Net-DNS-0.59-3.el5
rpm -q perl-Net-IP
perl-Net-IP-1.25-2.fc6
rpm -q perl-OLE-Storage_Lite
perl-OLE-Storage_Lite-0.17-1.el5.rf
rpm -q perl-Pod-Escapes
perl-Pod-Escapes-1.04-1.2.el5.rf
rpm -q perl-Pod-Simple
perl-Pod-Simple-3.05-1.el5.rf
rpm -q perl-Scalar-List
package perl-Scalar-List is not installed
rpm -q perl-Storable
package perl-Storable is not installed
rpm -q perl-Sys-Hostname-Long
perl-Sys-Hostname-Long-1.4-1.2.el5.rf
rpm -q perl-Sys-Syslog
package perl-Sys-Syslog is not installed
rpm -q perl-Test-Harness
package perl-Test-Harness is not installed
rpm -q perl-Test-Pod
perl-Test-Pod-1.26-1.el5.rf
rpm -q perl-Test-Simple
package perl-Test-Simple is not installed
rpm -q perl-TimeDate
perl-TimeDate-1.16-5.el5
rpm -q perl-Time-HiRes
package perl-Time-HiRes is not installed
rpm -q tnef
tnef-1.4.4-1

Kai

--