Mailscanner, CentOS 5, and updating perl.

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Dec 10 12:15:12 GMT 2008

Henry Kwan wrote on Tue, 9 Dec 2008 22:52:02 +0000 (UTC):

> So the offending rpm was this one that yum update wants me to install:
>
> perl-Compress-Zlib.i386                  1.42-1.fc6             base

why should "yum update" want you to install it? This is not an update. Is it a
dependancy?

> If I go ahead and install it, the same error as above always pops up when I go
> to start Mailscanner.

Not here, with 1.42-1.fc6 on the system. However, my latest MS version currently
is 4.71.10. So, there may be something offending with a later version. Or it is
caused by installing all those Perl source packages from Julian's tarball.
On RH/CentOS systems I strongly recommend *not* to install the complete tar.gz
you get from Julian's site. Unpack that and *only* (force-)install the
mailscanner*.rpm plus the tnef rpm and I may be missing another one. Install
*all* the perl modules that are missing from rpmforge before you install
MailScanner. Also note, that some of the modules in the tar.gz are already
included in the installed Perl. There's no need to install these. I once posted
a list of the modules you have to install for CentOS on this very list (this
year I think).
I haven't ever had any problems with this approach and enjoy an easy update path
for the OS *and* MailScanner (and updating MS this way is *much* faster as well)
and no problems with Perl.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany