Mailscanner, CentOS 5, and updating perl.

Henry Kwan lists at designmedia.com
Tue Dec 9 21:47:30 GMT 2008

Hi.

Noticed that the perl on my CentOS/Mailscanner box is a bit stale.  Tried to yum
update it but got a bunch of errors.  Googled and found an old message from
Julian saying to "rpm -e" the offending perl rpms, update perl, and then
reinstall Mailscanner.

I did so on a test box but noticed that during the re-install, there were a
bunch of errors saying that the version of the perl rpm being installed
conflicted with the updated perl rpm already install ("...conflicts with file
from package perl-5.8.8-15.el5_2.1").  Also, there looked like a fairly serious
error with Compress-Zlib failing to compile.  When I went to start Mailscanner,
this is what I got:

---snip---
         MailScanner:        is only avaliable with the XS version at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm
line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm
line 48.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm
line 48.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 82.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 82.
---snip---

I checked and it looked like that there was a later version of Compress-Zlib
already installed on the system.  I removed that rpm and restarted the install
script.  Now Mailscanner starts without errors and linting shows no problems.

So I guess my question is that if Mailscanners starts/lints without errors,
should I be concerned about the error messages during the install?

Thanks.