MailScanner + Sys:Syslog problem

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USherbrooke.ca
Thu Dec 4 18:26:53 GMT 2008

nikolaos pavlidis a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> I have stumbled upon a problem with MailScanner, and I cannot seem to
> get around it. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could provide
> me with some help on this.
>
> The OS is Solaris 10 (10/08), it has clamd installed and running as
> root; razor and DCC also installed.
>
> MailScanner shows an unreasonable behaviour, immediately forking out
> "Max Children" processes without ANY traffic going to the box. I have
> set MS to run in debug mode, SA on debug as well and play out on
> foreground. The result was:
>
> [2109] dbg: bayes: files locked, now unlocking lock
> [2109] dbg: locker: safe_unlock:
> unlocked /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin/bayes.mutex
> [2109] dbg: learn: initializing learner
> File checker failed with real error: no connection to syslog available
>         - udp connect: nobody listening
> at /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/Log.pm line 170
>  at /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/SweepOther.pm line 386
>  Failed.
>
> my Sys::Syslog version is 0.27 which I have installed using
> perlgcc -MCPAN -e 'install Sys::Syslog'
>
> and the only perl modules I haven't installed are:
>
> missing Business::ISBN
> missing Data::Dump
> missing ExtUtils::ParseXS
> missing Mail::ClamAV
> missing Mail::SPF ( i have Mail::SPF::Query
> missing Net::LDAP
> missing NetAddr::IP
> missing SAVI
>
> I would think by the looks of it there seems to be a problem with
> Sys:Syslog. I run this perl script example to check the module:
>

> use Sys::Syslog;
> syslog('notice', 'fooprogram: this is really done');
>
> and it produced no logs at all.
>

> If you need more information about the system I would be glad to provide
> it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nik

Nik,

MS always start all its children on startup.  This is its normal behaviour.

As for your syslog problem, are you sure you have a syslogd running on
your server?  On Linux, if I use the following command I can see there
is a process listening on syslog's port:
netstat -upa|grep syslog
udp        0      0 *:syslog
*:*                                     4908/syslogd

I could also use:
lsof -i udp:syslog
COMMAND  PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
syslogd 4908 root   10u  IPv4   8018       UDP *:syslog

I don't know if Solaris has similar commands...  Hope this helps.

Denis

--
   _
  °v°   Denis Beauchemin, analyste