MailScanner + Sys:Syslog problem

nikolaos pavlidis nikolaos.pavlidis at beds.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 17:25:17 GMT 2008

Hello all,

I have stumbled upon a problem with MailScanner, and I cannot seem to
get around it. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could provide
me with some help on this.

The OS is Solaris 10 (10/08), it has clamd installed and running as
root; razor and DCC also installed.

MailScanner shows an unreasonable behaviour, immediately forking out
"Max Children" processes without ANY traffic going to the box. I have
set MS to run in debug mode, SA on debug as well and play out on
foreground. The result was:

[2109] dbg: bayes: files locked, now unlocking lock
[2109] dbg: locker: safe_unlock:
unlocked /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin/bayes.mutex
[2109] dbg: learn: initializing learner
File checker failed with real error: no connection to syslog available
        - udp connect: nobody listening
at /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/Log.pm line 170
 at /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/SweepOther.pm line 386
 Failed.

my Sys::Syslog version is 0.27 which I have installed using
perlgcc -MCPAN -e 'install Sys::Syslog'

and the only perl modules I haven't installed are:

missing Business::ISBN
missing Data::Dump
missing ExtUtils::ParseXS
missing Mail::ClamAV
missing Mail::SPF ( i have Mail::SPF::Query
missing Net::LDAP
missing NetAddr::IP
missing SAVI

I would think by the looks of it there seems to be a problem with
Sys:Syslog. I run this perl script example to check the module:

use Sys::Syslog;
syslog('notice', 'fooprogram: this is really done');

and it produced no logs at all.

If you need more information about the system I would be glad to provide
it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Nik
--

Nikolaos Pavlidis BSc (Hons) MBCS NCLP