Debian and the latest perl security updates

Desai, Jason jase at sensis.com
Wed Dec 3 14:01:07 GMT 2008

For those who use Debian and Julian's tar.gz install package:

Debian just released a perl security update.  After installing the
update, MailScanner will not start (for me anyways), giving the
following error:

Starting MailScanner...File::Temp version 0.18 required--this is only
version 0.16 at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/MIME/Tools.pm line 14.

I suspect the update is overwriting something.  I haven't take a lot of
time to investigate, but to work around it, I renamed my existing
MailScanner folder, re-ran install.sh (to get the required perl modules
installed), deleted the new MailScanner folder, and then renamed the old
one back.

mv /opt/MailScanner-4.72.5-1 /opt/MailScanner-4.72.5-1.tmp
cd MailScanner-install-4.72.5
./install.sh
rm -rf /opt/MailScanner-4.72.5-1
mv /opt/MailScanner-4.72.5-1.tmp /opt/MailScanner-4.72.5-1

Hope this helps someone.  At the very least, restart MailScanner after
you do the perl update to make sure it will start back up.

Jase