Most Cost Effective Antivirus Licensing?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 15:53:38 IST 2008

2008/8/22 Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings at mira.co.uk>:
> I'm running Postfix + MailScanner with ClamAV.  I'd like to get another
> engine and I'd like to know if anyone has looked into what the most cost
> effective product is in terms of obeying the licensing agreements?
>
> For example each vendor makes a linux "server protection" product which
> is usually prices at flat rate and is cheaper than a "linux mail server
> protection" product which is usually priced per mailbox - per mailbox
> where, on the linux server, on an internal Exchange server behind a DMZ
> MailScanner box.. if you see what I mean?
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Generally speaking... MailScanner most often use a command line
scanner, so don't really need the "Mail-server" variants. Some seem to
try "cover" that in their licenses though, so I suppose one need look
very carefully at the wording (perhaps contact a lawyer, to help with
that).
My concern is usually more on the effectiveness of it, rather than at
the cost... No matter how cheap it is, if it is cr*p... I *will* not
use it:-).

Do you perhaps have a site license for your windoze boxes? That might
actually include all you need already:-). ... I get McAfee that way;).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn