Message body lost when zip file quarantined

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Aug 26 19:39:20 IST 2008

Julian Field wrote:

>Just as a note for the list archive. I cannot reproduce the problem, it
>works okay for me and does not throw away the message body.

Jules wrote to me off list, and it turns out he made a simplification
in my unduly complicated example which coincidently avoided the
problem. I have replied to Jules off list, but here's a summary of my
findings.

It turns out the problem can be triggered by a much simpler example.
Sorry for not analysing this more thoroughly before the original
report.

Here's how you can duplicate the problem:

1) create file.bat (or any forbidden name?)
2) zip file.bat into file.zip
3) place file.zip in otherwise empty directory x
4) zip directory x into x.zip

Now x.zip is a zip containing directory x which in turn contains
file.zip which is a zip of a file with a forbidden name.

Attach this file to a plain text message and send it through
MailScanner, and the plain text part will be lost.