DSNs from bigfoot.com are quarantined

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Aug 26 17:07:07 IST 2008

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 02:28:22PM -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> If only the Content-Type: message/partial part were removed, it would
>>> still be possible for automated bounce recognition software to recognize
>>> the DSN. Is there some reason why the entire message needs to be removed
>>> and not just the message/partial part?
>>>

>> MailScanner breaks the message apart to scan it, but it only either sends
>> or doesn't send the original message. It doesn't re-assemble it with bits
>> and pieces. What if it assembled it wrong? What about signatures?
>>
>> If you tamper with a message, you broke it.
>>

> One of us is not understanding the other.
>
> The message I'm talking about has multiple MIME parts, one of which has
> a (bogus) message/partial Content-Type:.
>
> I understand why MailScanner doesn't like the message/partial part.
> What I am asking is why does MailScanner quarantine the entire message
> instead of just the message/partial part. It clearly does this for other
> message parts it doesn't like such as attached files with 'bad' names.
>
> Thinking about this a bit more, perhaps the answer to my question is
> that MailScanner only removes just 'attachments' if there is a text/plain
> part in which to insert the
>
> Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed
> Warning: <list of names>
> Warning: Please read ...
>
> lines. Or perhaps it only removes just 'attachments' if they have names.

It can remove message parts that don't have names, I do it for "external
body" messages.
I'll change the "partial message" logic and put out a new beta for you
that does this. I have to beware that there may be more than one
"partial message" section in a message. But it shouldn't be any great
problem.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng