Development info?

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun Aug 24 23:17:05 IST 2008

Julian Field wrote:

> Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
>>
>> Julian Field wrote:
>>

>>> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MyExample.pm, it could
>>> not be "require"d. Make sure the last line of the file says "1;" at
>>> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm line 624
>>>

>> Without the debugging this is all you get. The error could be anything
>> but this line points in a rather specific direction al the time.
>>
>> Rewording this line to be more generic would push me sooner to looking
>> at another section instead of that one line. Now I spend some time
>> thinking wether or not an empty line could be the problem. While it was
>> in fact a missing " somewhere else.
>>
> I think requiring you to do a "MailScanner --lint" to check the syntax
> of your Custom Functions is okay.
>
>> With fingers not always doing exactly what I want them to do I am used
>> to finding typo's in every line I write. But when an error points to
>> something specific I start looking for the indicated error.
>>
>> Rephrasing it in the next version will prevent such misunderstandings.
>>
> Suggested wording?

Just remove the pointer to a specific problem. Someting like:

/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MyExample.pm, it could
not be "require"d at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm line 624

>> PS: I spotted and fixed 15 finger mismatches in this simple message
>> before I did send it. Just curious how many I still missed.
>>
> Learn to type more accurately? :-)

To bad it is a wiring problem. The fingers will simply not always do
exactly what I order them. Or not in the specific order if I want to go
at any speed. It is a minor nuisance I learned to live with. I watch out
for the common RSI causes to minimize the risk of it getting any worse.

- --