{Disarmed} Probem with mailscanner + fetchmail + mailwatch

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Aug 19 12:06:54 IST 2008

Fabio Silva wrote:
> Hello all, i have a server that gets email from another server with
> fetchmail... no problem.. its working fine... and... i have
> mailscanner to scan the mails for virus and spam anddd.. extensions
> attachments... and.. the mailwatch to see the email traffic and
> statistics from web..
>
> I have done this steps form mailwatch..
> http://mailwatch.sourceforge.net/doku.php?id=mailwatch:faq#why_are_messages_quarantined_again_when_i_release_them_in_mailwatch
>
> But... im using fetchmail.. and when i use fetchmail.. all mail is
> delivered to postfix from IP 127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1> ... and...
> to solve the above problem i have all mail classified as Whitelist...
>
> Does anybody have any clue about how to solve it??
Fetchmail is running on your local machine, and is using SMTP to deliver
mail to Postfix, just like it's supposed to. As a result, the IP address
of the machine sending the SMTP traffic is your system, i.e. localhost.

The only thing that will make MailScanner read the IP address from the
first Received: header in the message (this is a Postfix-only behaviour
I seem to remember) is when there isn't an IP address in the message's
envelope details at all. So if you can get fetchmail to inject the
message straight into Postfix without using SMTP (you'll have to check
the fetchmail+Postfix docs to see if this is possible) then MailScanner
will pull out the IP address you want.

Others more familiar with the deeper innards of fetchmail can probably
tell us more.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng