Sendmail: Number of queue runners?

Gary Alexander garyalex at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 09:02:13 IST 2008

> Thanks!  I installed from a Gentoo ebuild, so I hadn't followed the "using the
> tarball" path all the way.
>
> I can't help but wonder why it isn't linked straight from the Installation
> Guide page -- like it is for Postfix, Exim, and ZMailer.  Seems like having
> sendmail right there would make good sense.  :)
>
> In any case, it looks like the real problem is that whoever did the Gentoo
> ebuild/package didn't do the init scripts right.  If they had, then it would
> already start the queue runner for mqueue.  I'll go report it as a bug.
>
> It's actually fairly easy to miss -- because it otherwise works fine without
> it.  You only miss messages that were delayed/deferred.  So, normal emails go
> out fine.  As greylisting gets more popular, it gets more noticeable.  :)
>
> Thanks again.
>
>  - John...

FYI For gentoo you would need to modify 2 files to get this running:

/etc/conf.d/sendmail:
SENDMAIL_OPTS="-L sm-mta -bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn
-ODeliveryMode=queueonly -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in"
MQUEUE_OPTS="-q15m -L sm-qm" # clientmqueue
CLIENTMQUEUE_OPTS="-Ac -q30m -L sm-cm"

/etc/init.d/sendmail:
start() {
        ebegin "Starting sendmail"
        /usr/bin/newaliases > /dev/null 2>&1
        (cd /var/spool/mqueue; rm -f xf*)
        /usr/sbin/sendmail ${SENDMAIL_OPTS} > /dev/null 2>&1
        /usr/sbin/sendmail ${CLIENTMQUEUE_OPTS} > /dev/null 2>&1
        /usr/sbin/sendmail ${MQUEUE_OPTS} > /dev/null 2>&1
        eend $?
}

--
Fax2mail: 086 607 9109
Website: http://blahlinux.blogspot.com

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
- Mark Twain