spamd support module

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Tue Aug 12 22:19:41 IST 2008

Hi all,

Please find attached a replacement GenericSpamScanner.pm script that
will connect to a local or remote spamd instance instead of using the
local SpamAssassin libraries.

To install - you will need Mail::SpamAssassin installed locally, then
copy GenericSpamScanner.pm to your CustomFunctions directory, edit the
three variables at the top at the top of the file to fit your
configuration and add the specified configuration option to local.cf on
the host that is running spamd and restart spamd for the changes to take
effect.

Then sure spamd is configured correctly and that you are able to connect
to it from the MailScanner host.  Set 'Use Generic Spam Scanner = Yes'
and 'Use SpamAssassin = No' in MailScanner.conf and restart MailScanner.

In the logs it will show spamd being called and the score that is returned.

Advantages of this approach:

- Lower memory usage
- Spamd can be run on a remote system to offload processing
- Speed?  Actually appears to be faster than the native code on my test
machine.

Disadvantages:

- No SpamAssassin cache

Also with a small amount of extra code it would be possible to have
per-user/per-domain bayes database and rules scores although I haven't
implemented this yet.

Regards,
Steve.