list messages bouncing due to no reverse dns!

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Aug 10 11:35:25 IST 2008

The netblock of IP addresses got hijacked by someone bad, and the
nameserver entries were changed without permission from the owners. As
soon as they can get ownership back, they will correct the nameserver
records and everything will return to normal.

In the mean time, sorry, but there's nothing much I can do about this
except suspend normal processing of list-bounce error messages, which I
have done. The only other option would be to move the entire list to
somewhere else, which is a big job just because of a temporary outage at
a time of year when everything would be pretty quiet anyway.

Hope that's okay with all of you.
Cheers,
Jules.

Paul Hutchings wrote:
> I’m sure we’re not the only site that rejects mail by default from hosts with no reverse DNS (please note I mean *no* reverse DNS not a mismatch between forward and reverse).
>
> It seems 83.98.192.7 which is delivering mailscanner list mail has none – thought someone might need to know as I wondered why the list had gone awful quiet the last few days ☺
>
> Cheers!

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng